Happy "New" Year
Happy New Year! The start of a new calendar year seems like an obvious time to talk about new beginnings. I'm sure some of you have a New Year's resolution or two!
Good luck with that. For the association though, with our administrative/fiscal year starting July 1st, January is really the start of the second half of our year.So instead of talking about new things to start, let’s focus on those initiatives that were started earlier in the year.
First, we need to give our sincerest appreciation to Dennis Galletta and TP Liang, co-chairs for ICIS 2011 in Shanghai for hosting a most outstanding event.Congratulations to them and their entire committee for a job well done.If you attended, be sure to complete the attendee satisfaction survey
if you haven't already.If you didn’t make it to Shanghai, put AMCIS – Seattle
and ICIS – Orlando
on your calendars now.
Prior to the opening of ICIS, the AIS Council convened its annual day-and-a-half meeting to review the progress being made on initiatives in support of the AIS Strategic Plan.Highlights of the meeting are included in President Dov’s message
.The Council's next meeting will be a virtual one on March 9, 2012.
The work of the AIS staff supporting the council and its mission as well as providing day-to-day member services continues in full swing after a brief respite during the holidays.Highlights of current and upcoming activities include:
- Conference planning: wrap-up of ICIS '11; planning for future ICIS and AMCIS '12 thru '15 including budgeting, site sourcing, hotel negotiations, event planning, vendor selections, and committee training,
- Membership services: dues renewal, retention campaign, membership marketing, institutional member processing
- Membership recruitment campaign targeting 3800 non-member IS authors
- Placement services: application/vitae processing, job announcements
- Publication and eLibrarys ervices: uploading of new journals to site; training on uploading procedures; institutional subscription sales
- Branding/Marketing Campaign: seeking public relations company to design Phase II and launching fundraising campaign with business and industry sectors.
- SIG and Chapter services: implementing new bylaw standard form for all SIGs and chapters; evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of all groups and offering support to strengthen them.
- Communication services: web page updates, new page creation, paper review system setup for upcoming conferences, marketing,
- Technology: beginning implementation of new AMS (association management system); development of new website marketing strategy.
- Student Chapters: chapter building initiative is kicked off in this month; support for the April 26 – 28 Student Chapter Leadership Conference at BYU continues.
- Search for a new Membership Director.DeLoy Lance has served us well in this position these last two years and will be missed.She is pursuing other opportunities at Meeting Expectations.
These are exciting times for the association and we encourage all members to take advantage of the many benefits AIS offers.Let us know how we can best serve you!
Pete Tinsley, CAE