AIS Region Representatives Provide Overview of Regional Activities
Region 1 (the Americas)is a large and exciting region - North America alone comprises 46% of the AISmembership! - and there are a number of important conferences and initiatives underway. Andrew Burton-Jones, the Region 1 Representative, discusses a couple of these items below:
- AMCIS2012 will be held in beautiful Seattle, Washington on August 9-11, 2012. The conference theme, "Reflect and Redefine: Designing the Digital Future", reflects how digital technology is radically changing our everyday life both in and outside of organizations. For more information, visit: http://amcis2012.aisnet.org/
- Another exciting initiative in the region is the The Canadian Coalition for Tomorrow's ICT Skills (CCICT), which is sponsored by a number of Canada's most well-known organizations. It functions as an intersection of universities, corporations, and policy makers in order to influence and improve the quality and quantity of ICTskills in Canada (developed resources can be found here). One of the aims of this initiative is to attract more students to and produce better students by reorganizing academic programs according to the principles and ideas of the CCICT. Even though much of it has been counced under the phrase "Business Technology Management", it has greatly benefited those who work with information systems, as well. My university, UBC, has benefited from its involvement with this initiative, and I look forward to tracking its further success.
Region 2 (Europe, Middle-East, Africa) brings together a diverse mosaic of research and cultural traditions. This diversity is celebrated in several national and regional events. Region 2 Representative Nancy Pouloudi describes the dynamism of the region, which comes across particularly strongly this year, as Region 2 has the privilege to host four AIS-affiliated conferences:
- The European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS) will take place on June 10-13 in Barcelona, Spain. With over twenty tracks and typically over 300 attendees, ECIS is the major IS event in Region 2, and is preceded by the Doctoral Consortium (8-10 June). This year marks the 20th anniversary of the conference. Conference registration is open to AIS members at www.ecis2012.eu.
- The 7th Mediterranean Conference in Information Systems (MCIS) will take place on September 8-10 in Guimarães, Portugal (www.mcis2012.org). The conference has been affiliated to the AIS since its inception, and aims to bring together IS scholars from the Mediterranean region as well as researchers carrying out IS research of interest and relevance to the region. This year’s conference theme is on Adopting emergent knowledge and technologies to develop innovative Information Systems (CloudWisdom).
- The International Conference on Information Resources Management (Conf-IRM) seeks to promote effective and vibrant networking among researchers and practitioners from around the world who are concerned about the effective management of information resources in organizations. It will take place on May 21-23 in Vienna, Austria (http://www.conf-irm.org/).
- The 11th International Conference on Mobile Business (ICMB) on the adoption, use and effect of mobile systems and applications covers multiple aspects of mobile business and its evolution. The conference address topics related to technology, applications, business applications and developing.
AIS’ Region 3
(Asia and the Pacific) is a region with many opportunities for AIS to increase both its visibility and membership.The region boasts a large growth in the number of MIS scholars, a plethora of exciting conferences, and a group of well-known scholars who are recognized within the region and within the association for their contributions to the information systems community. AIS Region 3 Representative Eric T.G. Wang
is excited about the upcoming conferences, projects, and activities in the region, and details some of these items below:
- Due to the large growth in the number of MIS scholars, the National Science Council of Taiwan has spearheaded a project to identify and rank regional MIS journals. The AIS Region 3 Representative has been extremely active in this project, which hopes to provide a broader set of journals for regional scholars to publish their research.
- This year, we are excited to announce that the Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS) will be held in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for the first time.This conference, which will take place on July 11-15, will focus on the theme "IS Innovation in Pacific Asia”, and will feature two keynote speakers from the region: AIS President-elect Doug Vogel, City University of Hong Kong, and Professor Ting-Peng Liang, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan.In addition to PACIS 2012, the AIS-affiliated Wuhan International Conference on E-business (WHICEB)will be held from May 26-27 in Wuhan, China.This conference, with its diverse tracks and special sessions, is expecting a large turnout and promises to be an exciting conference for all scholars interested in e-business.
- We would like to congratulate Bernard Tan and Jae-Kyu Lee on their designation as AIS Fellows in 2011 and for their academic achievement and service to AIS.We would also like to commend Patrick Chau on his recent appointment as co-editor-in-chief, along with Edgar Sibley, ofInformation and Management.
If you have any questions about these items or would like to be in touch with your region's representative, please send an email to Andrew Burton-Jones, Nancy Pouloudi, or Eric T.G. Wang.