AIS Poised for Success in 2017
Tuesday, January 3, 2017
Posted by: Brook Pritchett
Dear AIS Members,
The turn of the new year is a great opportunity to reflect and report on all AIS has accomplished in the past year and preview some exciting things we have to look forward to in 2017. While we are a volunteer-led organization, we never lose sight of the reality that it is our members who make everything we do possible –so thank you, from all of us, for your membership and support.
2016 saw a number of new and improved services come to fruition as well as some significant milestones and achievements, including:
- ICIS 2016 was the largest conference in AIS history, with a record-breaking turnout of more than 1,500. Thank you to all the members, volunteers, sponsors, and conference leaders who contributed to this achievement!
- New membership options were introduced including discounted multi-year memberships and the Lifetime Membership Program.
- The aisnet.org website received a makeover, improving its readability and functionality. The work resulted in winning an award for Most Improved Website from an affiliate group of the American Society for Association Executives.
- A new, feature-rich platform was introduced for career services to include job boards for both academic and IS professional careers.
- Several new service awards were introduced, as well as the inaugural presentation of the AIS Leadership Excellence Award at ICIS 2016 in Dublin.
- AIS released the latest IS Job Index Report, a joint initiative between AIS and Temple University.
- Many new workshops were sponsored, including a new Doctoral Workshop at HICSS, as well as AIS-led workshops at ECIS, PACIS, ICIS, and AMCIS.
- The new AIS donation fund for advancing scholarly teaching, research and travel for AIS members was created.
- PACIS became the official Region 3 conference of AIS.
- AMCIS 2016 drew attendees from more than 50 countries, and received outstanding user satisfaction survey ratings.
- The transition from a volunteer Interim Executive Director (special thanks to Matt Nelson, who volunteered in this critical role during the transition) to a professional Executive Director, Jody McGinness.
- Improved financial transparency, including hosting live webinars for members to review and discuss how their dues are being spent.
- A sold-out Student Chapter Leadership Conference at Indiana University.
As for 2017, here are just a sample of the things we have to look forward to:
- Expanded offerings in the AIS eLibrary, making it an even more valuable resource for members.
- An adjusted timeline for AIS elections, starting earlier in the year.
- A virtual Members Business Meeting to take place in spring.
- An emphasis on Information Systems as a STEM discipline.
- Lots of reminders that ICIS is pronounced “ISeeIS”.
- Upcoming meetings including ICIS, AMCIS, PACIS, ECIS, MWAIS, SAIS, and the Student Chapter Leadership Conference.
- A transition off of ScholarOne to a new system for conference reviews and submissions.
- An enhanced role for the Finance Committee in guiding financial transparency efforts.
- Increased coordination and improved branding for AIS-owned journals.
- New sponsorship options for AMCIS 2017 in Boston, including SIG sponsorships.
- An excellent ICIS 2017 in Seoul, with our local hosts the Korean Society for Information Systems.
Many of these items will be covered in greater detail in the forthcoming 2016 Annual Report, and we remain committed to finding new methods to work efficiently and effectively to fulfill the mission of AIS. But we couldn’t do it without your support. So thanks again, and feel free to share events, achievements, or other items of relevance to your fellow members via the AIS listserv and/or by sharing them with the AIS office directly at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to another excellent year serving you and the global IS community.
AIS Council and Staff